Thursday, February 2, 2012

Clean, Purge, Clean, Purge

January is definitely the month for purging, is it not. I help a friend install Christmas decorations at some very large homes each season. After Christmas, we return to take it all down. Nothing makes me want to get rid of "stuff" more than seeing these big houses crammed with who knows what. I always come home from each one with the thought that I am clearing out everything in my house I don't use. Happens every January. Each year I think that I've done a great job and then January rolls around again and I still have LOADS to take to Goodwill. Seriously. It's embarrassing. This year not only did I again clean out closets, drawers and garages, but I also got rid of furniture.  Probably not the best idea of mine since I have college kids but I did it anyway.  My plan is to take another look at everything in a month and see what else needs to go.  I am on a roll!
In the midst of all the purging, I have decided that I want to redo our bedroom. I have a very traditional home and love a jewel toned style of living. However, I'm ready to mix it up, with Pinterest being the main culprit. Seriously, I can pin all day long!  I think my style is not what has been the rage for the past couple of years.  I know "french country" style is everywhere now but it just is not for me. It looks great in other peoples' homes but just does not fit my style. The light colors and tones of grey just don't speak to me.  Unfortunately, I cannot seem to narrow down what I do want and the "speak to me" that I want is being strangely mute. The sleigh bed I have is staying as is the white matelasse coverlet.  I've bought one new nightstand and swing arm lights but everything else is at a standstill. I refuse to spend $2000 on bed linens that must be dry cleaned. I like to be able to throw things in the wash and be done with it. This narrows down many of the fabrics that I love but just are not practical. So ladies, HELP!!! Toss some ideas my way. Send some pictures and ideas. It took me ten years to complete my family room and I'd really like to see the bedroom done in far less time!

As many of you know, I live in Texas. As some of you write about the cold weather in other parts of the country, can I just say ya'll make me sick ha! This has been the mildest winter I can remember and we have had some mild ones the last few years. I have even put a reminder on my cell phone calendar that will go off on September 1st. DO NOT BUY ANY SWEATERS! I haven't  worn the lightest weight ones I have., never mind the actual winter ones. I think it is time to face the fact that we don't have an actual winter here and I need to put the money I spend on darling sweaters to actual clothes I will wear for 10 months out of the year. I really detest summer clothes. Really! But, I am going to break down and but some comfy, chic summer clothes and just get over the fact that I have to wear them. I know linen is the thing to wear but, oh my I hate the wrinkled look.   We have more days in the 80-100 degree range than ever and my wardrobe is screaming to ban wool.  So, send some clothing ideas this way too.  January and February are the months to reinvent one's home and self,  right?

Advice, ladies. Advice. That is what I'm looking for today!

13 comments:

nancygrayce said...

No one told me you're supposed to purge in January! Oh, how I need to do that, but someone would have to come help me and force me!

It's been really mild here in Florida too.....we really need to cool down the gulf before hurricane season starts so I'm praying for some real cold weeks.

I love the feel and weight of linen, but like you I can't stand that wrinkled look and feel like I need to keep telling people "I did iron this".....

Landlocked Mermaid said...

I am so oooo glad to see you are back!!! xo missed you xo

RachelD said...

Lighten, simplify, get rid of---I just LOVE those words!!

I never was a shopper, but have always enjoyed a little jaunt through Goodwill now and then to pick up whatever somebody-else-loved-it things that caught my eye.

Not so any more---What I REALLY enjoy now is seeing that truck pull up out front and take all the boxes and bags off my front porch!

Glad to see you back,

rachel

Living Life in the Lowcountry said...

I'm with ya on the weather! In fact I just gave a couple coats to Goodwill, I figure the one or two days that I may need them I can just deal with it!
I wear lots of tunics with different types pants/jeans/ I have found some that are in fabrics that don't necessarily look like summer so they are good almost year round here on the coast of SC.

Jill said...

Hi there! I am in the same boat as far as redoing rooms. I don't have a lot of advice but I've always found it works best for me to decide on the bed linens and then plan everything else around that (even window tretments). And I usually buy and try (coverlets, duvets, bedskirts) until I find the right combo. Time consuming but it works! Speaking of bedskirts, I couldn't find anything I like in the stores this time and around so I'm having a custom tone on tone zebra stripe being made. (And PS - I'm not on the gray bandwagon, either. Very trendy and will be out of style witin a couple years I think).

Kathy said...

I am the living embodiment of your header quote.....LOVE your blog! Thanks for visiting mine, because now I have yours.....following...k

Barrett said...

I get the same bug every January! I have decided that everything downstairs in my house needs to be replaced. I am so tired of the colors, clutter I have collected over the years in the name of decorating and so on. Now I am a bit overwhelmed. I have tried to de clutter and purge a little everyweek. Now my garage is a complete mess because I make my husband take the stuff to Goodwill and he has been too busy to do it. I too wonder everytime I get rid of something if I need to be holding on to it to give to the girls for their (yet again) new apartments next year. (Why have they had to have a new apartment/house every year they have been in college? Makes for a unbearable August!)

My winter sweaters are still upstairs in the cedar closet. I need to get up there a purge that COMPLETELY!!

Rosemary said...

I love this purging idea. I really need to do it. Someone once told me I should get rid of anything I haven't worn in a year. If the season went by and I didn't wear it, I probably will never wear it again. I think she's right.
Wish I had some suggestions. This is a challenge for me-- both purging and decorating....and selecting clothes!
In Michigan we have had a very mild winter too. Well, probably not anything you would think is mild but it's mild for us. I'm actually in the mood for a good, dramatic blizzard-- something that will cause a snow day. We need more snow. In Michigan, if you don't have snow, there's not much point to winter. The snow is so beautiful.
Thank you for your kind words on my blog!

Rattlebridge Farm said...

I can't resist following a blog with the title "Pearls to Hide My Neck." I love it! I'm purging, too, but so far it's mission impossible.Happy to find you!

Lisa said...

Thanks for the visit! I was so excited to watch the new Dallas that I fell asleep during the second half! LOL! I did like Bobby's new wife.
PS You are soooo right about JR's eyebrows! What in the world was he thinkin'?

Anonymous said...

We all feel the need to make sure that we are cleaning and purging every once in a while. I like the idea of going back through things on a monthly basis just to see if you are really using things or not. It always seems to be the case that when you begin another fun project jumps to mind.


My homepage | Professional Doctorate

Blogger said...

QUANTUM BINARY SIGNALS

Get professional trading signals delivered to your cell phone daily.

Follow our signals right now & make up to 270% a day.

القمر السعودى said...

كم يكلف غسيل الكنب بالاحساء